Monday, October 19, 2009

Week Three Matzo Balls

I start my third week of continuous chemotherapy today. A pump, which I wear, administers the cocktail 5FU via the aforementioned port catheter. It’s attached to me 24/7. My oncologist said the pump would be about the size of a Walkman – more like a portable 8 track cassette player. The pump makes a sound like an industrial air freshener in a restroom. The saucy chemo nurses who laugh at my bad puns swap the cassette of 5FU and insert a new needle in my port every week.

The 5FU will not cause me to lose what little hair I have left. So far I have only felt a little nauseated no long conversations yet on the big white porcelain telephone. Last week the doctor gave me a script for Marisol or oral Mary Jane and told me to eat more donuts. A side effect of the Marisol could be increased desire3 to watch Cheech and Chong movies and laugh hysterically. High caloric foods will help increase my blood pressure. I will have another bowl of matzo ball soup please.

3 comments:

  1. Shane!!! I hope you are following doctor's orders- eating donuts and watching good movies. I would love to see you soon~ school is keeping me tied to a pole somewhere between brooklyn and astor place. I am thinking of you a lota. Have you heard of Cass McCombs? You should check out some of his music. Its a good listen. I can burn you a cd if you like. xo Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane, We're thinking of you a lot over here. Thanks for the updates. I'm glad you are finding a little humor in all of this! Is there anything specific, carb-wise, I can send you?
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Shane, we've been thinking about you a lot too. I am glad you got a good defensive barrier of humor on your side; I'd probably just throw rocks at kittens or something. Wish I was on the East coast to come by and cook for you two or help with some chores. Thanks for the posts. btw are there any bay area treats you miss that would ship better than taco? Kevin

    ReplyDelete